Campus02IT04b

Friday, December 15, 2006

Another interesting topic

Last week I read in an Austrian Newspaper about health experts who explained that every day two to three people die of the effects of passive smoking. I was quite shocked about this statement because I’ve never thought that passive smoking is that dangerous. Of course I have heard about sequences of passive smoking and that some people operate extreme, almost militant against smokers but I’ve never thought about death in connection with passive smoking. I have never been such an aggressive non-smoker but according to such articles in newspapers maybe I should revise my opinion.
What attracted me in the past was following: while our health authorities are making inroads banning smoking on the workplace or in public buildings, visiting a restaurant, bar or cafe is still a “breathtaking” experience. For sure I can follow the arguments of some restaurant owners that restaurants are not public buildings and that people go there on their own and that a general smoking ban would be a "catastrophe” due to compact loss in sales, but, as we can see in Italy, the reverse is also true.
I completely agree with the man who wrote on a website that Austria is one of Europe's last refuges for smokers, still resisting the widespread smoking bans introduced and discussed in other EU countries. From my point of view it is time to think about changes.
So what I have done until now, and what I am going to do in the future too, is that I have preferred restaurants or bars with no-smoking areas or places with sufficient air condition systems in order to avoid exceeding impairment by smoke. But I must admit that I wouldn’t leave a bar or a restaurant where I feel good only because of some people smoking their cigarette, least of all if they are friends of me.

1 Comments:

At Sunday, December 17, 2006 7:09:00 pm, Blogger Nadin-Campus02 said...

heard about consequences ... operate extremely, almost militantly ...

in the past was the following:

smoking at work

... especially not if they are friends of mine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home